Ok, so it’s not January 1st but don’t let that stop you from achieving your goals! There’s no time like the present to start improving yourself!
Research indicates the best way to improve yourself and meet your personal goals is to make sure your goals are SMARTER:
- Specific – Answer the 5 “W’s”: who, what, where, which ,and why?
- Measurable – How much, how many, how will you know it’s accomplished?
- Attainable- How can the goal be accomplished?
- Relevant- Choose a goal that really matters to you.
- Time-bound- When? Set a timeline for achieving your goal.
- Evaluate- How are you progressing?
- Revise- Adapt your goal if needed.
People who make formal goals are ten times more likely to succeed at achieving their goals! Only 4% of those without formal goals will succeed whereas 46% of those who set specific goals achieve results. While this may seem depressing, consider the success rate of those who never try: 0%.
So whether you’re itching to read some new books and broaden your intellectual horizons, lose 20 pounds, or develop a skill set you’ve always wanted- there’s always a SMARTER way to go about achieving what you want!
Check out these books for inspiration:
Unlimited: How to Build an Exceptional Life – Jillian Michaels
Willpower : rediscovering the greatest human strength– Roy F. Baumeister and John Tierney
Don’t forget that your local library is always a great source of information for your specific goals, whether you’re looking for guidance with health, hobbies, skills, or personal enrichment!