Saturday November 2nd from 1pm-5pm Jack the Dipper will be donating 10% of ice cream sales to the FRL Reading Rover Bookmobile!
Bring your neighbors, friends, and family to enjoy an ice cream treat and an afternoon of fun in support of the Reading Rover! Free face painting and children’s activities will be part of this event. In addition, the Reading Rover will be open for tours.
Saturday, November 2 from 1pm-5pm
Jack the Dipper
170 East Sylva Shopping Center
Sylva, North Carolina 28779
But the festivities don’t end there! Stay a little later (6-7 p.m.) to experience the 1st Annual Jack the Dipper Ice Cream Eating Contest. Western Carolina University students will compete for male and female ice cream eating champion bragging rights. The contest is an additional fundraiser benefiting the Reading Rover.
Here are the results of Rover’s travels for the 2012-2013 school year:
- 6,331 children experiencing Rover storytime
- 582 storytime programs presented
- 29 child care center visited monthly by the Rover
- 9,290 library materials checked out for use in child care centers
- Rover costs nearly $8,100 a month to operate.
Why is a visit from Rover important?
- Many area children do not have access to books and story time at home
- Early exposure to books and reading provide vital pre-reading skills necessary to prepare children to read on their own.
What can you do to help?
Please join us for hand-dipped ice cream at Jack the Dipper in Sylva or use the Reading Rover Pledge Form (pdf) to make your contribution.
To help us carry out the Rover mission, please read to your young child at home! Regular reading at home helps prepare you child for school, along with a whole host of additional benefits!
See previous posts about the Rover: